Hike to the Christ-the-King statue
Worth a detour : 250 m above the Christ-Roi, on the road of Coupeau, the Foret du Mont-Blanc (1203 m) offers an adventure park : swing from tree to tree in complete safety.
This statue, dedicated to peace in the world, was erected in 1934 and inaugurated on 19 August that year, under the aegis of Abbot Claude-Marie Delassiat.
After the Second World War, a 2-tonne bell was fitted in the nearby steeple and can still be heard all around the village today.
From Les Houches SNCF railway station, join the Coupeau road and cross the bridge over the railway line. Take Chemin des Eaux-Rousses on the right up to the fork on the edge of the woods. Go left and follow the winding path upwards to the Christ-the-King statue.
GR5 - TMB - TPMB hiking paths. Grand Balcon Sud.
More information at the Tourist Office, the High Mountain Office, and in our hiking guide.
Careful: path conditions may change - remember to check the latest information before setting off.
Christ-the-King Statute — Symbolising Love and Peace between men.
Located at an altitude of 1,200 metres in the heart of the Coupeau forest on the southern slope of Les Houches, the statue is 25 metres tall and weighs 500 metric tonnes (built from reinforced concrete).
It stands 200 metres above the valley, making it appear even more colossal.
The interior of the statue is now closed but houses a chapel largely decorated in Art Deco style.
There is an altar with three bas-reliefs depicting two angels and Christ the King, along with four statues — the Virgin of Peace, the Virgin Mary, a bust of Pius XI and one of St Joseph by Georges Serras (a sculptor specialised in monumental religious art, who was instrumental in creating the statute with architect Féveille).
A narrow wooden staircase leads up to a platform at the top of the monument, offering an arresting view of the Valley.
The "Dans L'Temps" association in Les Houches organises a few guided visits of the Christ-the-King chapel in the summer season. Information available from the Tourist Office.
History in the spotlight
In the 1930s, Abbot Claude Marie Delassiat wanted to build a statue of Christ in Les Houches in homage to Pope Pius XI (real name Ambrogio Damiano Achille Ratti), author of an encyclical on Christ the King and a keen mountaineer. Encouraged by the Vatican, Abbot Delassiat collected the money needed for his project through a series of public fund-raising campaigns.
After the Second World War, a two-tonne bell was added to the steeple.
Subject to favorable snow and weather conditions.
74310 Les Houches
Closest train stop : Les Houches train station
Closest parking : Les Houches train station / Le Tourchet car-parks